Fresh garlic has been shown to have excellent antimicrobial properties that come in handy in the natural treatment of whitlow, a known herpes infection. Its natural anti-inflammatory properties also come in handy because they help reduce the inflammation in the infected finger(s) or toe(s).
Fresh garlic, according to research, has high amounts of allicin. Garlic oil on the other hand, is rich in ajoene. Both allicin and ajoene have an antiviral effect which helps to mount a response against the herpes virus. Both remedies are recommended for the natural treatment of whitlow. Follow the simple directions below to treat the condition.
- 2 Cloves of garlic.
- A pestle and mortar.
- Cotton wool and warm water.
- Garlic oil is also an excellent alternative.
- Peel the garlic cloves and chop into small pieces.
- Transfer the chopped garlic and crush using a pestle and mortar. This is a key part of the remedy preparation because allicin is only activated when the garlic cloves are crushed to release the active ingredients. Salt is an optional addition to the remedy because it helps get a consistent mass.
- After crushing the garlic, you should end up with a paste that is easy to apply on the infected finger.
- Use cotton wool for the application process, doing so carefully to avoid cross contamination to other parts of the body such as the mouth.
- The remedy may cause a burning sensation, but this is a small price to pay considering the immense benefits garlic has on the body.
- Let the garlic paste dry on the skin for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the remedy off using warm water.
- Repeat this procedure twice daily until the symptoms of whitlow are completely cleared.
Using Garlic Oil
- Soak a piece of sterile cotton wool in the garlic oil for 30 seconds.
- Squeeze a few drops of the oil on the infected finger and then dab using the cotton wool.
- You may also opt to prepare home-made garlic oil as follows: Chop a few cloves of garlic and add them to olive oil in a pan. Fry the garlic until it is browned (but not burned).
- Strain the oil to get rid of the fried garlic, and use the strained oil for topical application.
- In addition to these remedy options, it helps to add garlic to your daily diet as a preventive measure for recurrence in the future.