Homemade lotion can save money and help you avoid toxic chemicals. Hand lotions are wonderful; they smell great and leave your skin feeling silky-smooth. It is very easy to make using this few ingredients
- 1/8 cup sweet almond oil
- 10 drops myrrh essential oil
- 10 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
Shea butter is known to provide powerful moisturizing and nourishing benefits for the skin. You could also substitute half of the shea butter for 1/8 cup cocoa butter or coconut oil.
2. Why sweet almond oil;
Sweet almond oil is a wonderful moisturizer that also contains vitamins that nourish and soothe the skin. If you don’t have sweet almond, you can substitute jojoba oil, olive oil, etc.
The beeswax in this recipe helps the hand butter to set up and stay firm. It also coats the skin and protects it. If you want your homemade hand cream texture to be softer, try reducing the beeswax. If you would like it firmer, increase the amount of beeswax. I like to use the small beeswax pellets when I make DIY salves/balms since they are easier to melt and measure.
4. Myrrh and cedarwood essential oils;
These are two essential oils that are known for their ability to soothe and nourish skin. However, there are many other essential oils that work well in skincare too, so feel free to substitute/play around a bit. My other suggestions would be: lavender, geranium, frankincense, and sandalwood. If you use the essential oils I mentioned in the recipe, the finished product has a earthy, woodsy smell which I love. If you are wanting a bit more of a feminine scent, trying adding in 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Melt the shea butter beeswax, and sweet almond oil together in a double boiler.
- Stir the mixture as it melts.
- Once everything is melted, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the essential oils, and pour the liquid hand cream into a small glass container.
- Allow it to harden completely (this usually takes several hours).
Apply this homemade hand cream recipe to your dry hands as often as needed–especially after a long day working outside or playing in the dirt.