Kunu is a popular drink from the Northern part of Nigeria. But because of the its natural sweetness the consumption of kunu has spread round Nigeria. It is usually made from a grain such as millet or sorghum ,Tiger nuts and rice.
It has a spicy nutty flavor that distinguishes from other drinks. Kunu has a range of nutritional benefits. The millet used in preparing kunu contains a poly nutrient called lignam which has cancer fighting properties and is beneficial in the treatment of heart disease.
How To Make Kunu Drink
Kunu drink is made from millet, sweet potato, cloves, water and sugar. Other variations of Kunu drink replace millet with rice or with Tiger Nuts.
- 3 cups of millet
- 1 medium size of Sweet potatoes (fresh or dried peeled)
- 1 tablespoon of ginger (fresh or dried)
- 1 teaspoon of Cloves
- 2 liters of water
- Sugar or any compliant sweetener of your choice
Pour the millets in a flat tray shake the millets
such that the stones move to the extreme side of the tray. Pour the millet in a bowl of water. Through this process the remaining stones will settle down at the bottom of the bowl
1. Soak the seeds in water for 24 hours to allow the seeds ferment .
2. Wash thoroughly with clean water and place the millet, Ginger, Cloves & Sweet potato in a blender (You need one with sharp blades) and blend till you have a smooth paste making sure you add water while blending.
3. Place the blend in a large bowl and pour cold water over the paste and mix. Gently pour the slurry into the sieving bag and sieve the mixture.
4. Leave the sieved out liquid to settle for about 6 hours, by then the clear liquid would be above the sediment (thick paste below). Sieve the clear liquid leaving the settled mixture which should be thick.
5. Divide the paste into two bowls . Pour boiling water over the content of bowl 1 and stir (As if you are preparing pap). Add the content of bowl 2 into bowl 1 . At this stage you can add as much water as you want depending on how thick or watery you want your kunu.
6. Add sugar or any compliant sweetener .Refrigerate and Serve Chilled.
Health Benefits Of Drinking Kunu
1. Helps To Control Diabetes
Kunu is also known to reduce the risk associated with diabetes.
It is also good for nursing mothers as it helps the flow of milk for breast feeding
2. Helps Women At Post And Present Menopause
Kunu is also good for women that have reached the stage of
menopause as it helps in relaxation of muscles. The key ingredient in millet known as Lignin, helps fight cancer and treats heart diseases.
3. Significant Health Benefits For Pregnant Women.
The reason is simple, it creates a magic ingredient. The magic ingredient is the “super-food”, ginger, that offers a range of benefits for pregnant women. Ginger improves the blood circulation in the body. This is important so that you’re baby will get the right level of blood supply.
4, Boost Your Sperm Count
Kunu Drink contains sweet potato (another so-called “super-food” by the way).Sweet potato is filled with very high levels of vitamin C. In one large sweet potato of 180g, there is 35.3g of vitamin C. And that’s great news if you’re looking to increase your sperm count.
Recent studies have reported that vitamin C is an antioxidant that has the “power to neutralize sperm-busting free radicals”. Advantages of vitamin C include reducing the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease and eye problems.
5. Lose Weight With Kunu Drink
You might feel like you’re getting to grips with understanding the nutritional value of Kunu drink.
The great thing about Kunu drink (when Taken in moderation can actually help you lose weight While on a low Carb lifestyle.
It does this due to its core ingredient: Millet. This nutritious grain contains high levels of protein and allows you to meet your daily protein requirements without eating meat.
For any important information please contact us Email GadgetsNg email@example.com