Lemon water is the perfect morning drink, especially if you drink it when you get up on an empty stomach.
Tissues tend to become dehydrated after a night’s sleep; a glass of lukewarm water with lemon is perfect for re-alerting the mind.
Seven (7) virtues of lemon water:
1. Lemon water enhances the energy level by supporting and stimulating bodily functions, including digestion and cellular metabolism; it also has many other health benefits.
2. It provides a good dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for several functions, including wound healing, increased iron absorption, protection against immune deficiencies, healthy eyes, bones and teeth. , and maintaining healthier, wrinkle-free skin.
3. It participates in detoxification. Lemon water can help cleanse the liver by activating the digestive enzymes in it. It can also help lower cholesterol levels in the blood and liver, as shown in an in vivo study.
4. It is a source of other important nutrients. Lemon also contains calcium, iron, potassium, group B vitamins and fiber, in smaller amounts.
5. It is a source of antioxidants (elements that fight free radicals). One lemon contains about 60% of the recommended dose of vitamin C.
This antioxidant has the ability to counter the damaging effects of free radicals, which damage DNA. Free radicals are also associated with oxidative stress, a precursor to many chronic diseases. Antioxidants like vitamin C therefore play an important role in preventing damage caused by free radicals, which are involved in the development of cancer, atherosclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease and other chronic conditions.
6. It can help maintain a good body mass index. Lemons contain compounds called polyphenols, which help break down lipids and have a beneficial effect on glucose transport in obesity. Research further indicates that polyphenols activate particular receptors that are involved in cellular differentiation, development and metabolism (known by the scholarly name of receptors activated by peroxisome proliferators).
In a study in mice, the polyphenols in lemon neutralized weight gain as well as body fat build-up while substantially improving glucose, insulin and leptin levels, suggesting that they may help reduce insulin resistance.
7. It can help eliminate toxins. Adequate consumption of plain water helps rid the body and the urinary tract of toxins. Adding a cup of hot water with lemon added daily can speed up this process.