A sprain in your ankle can hinder your daily activities. Simple tasks like casual walking become painful. This can make you miserable, especially if you are slated to go on a trekking trip or have an event coming up.
It is essential to know that ligaments have a specific range of motion. Stretching the ligaments beyond this boundary results in a sprain. Ligaments are tissues that help stabilize the joints. Hence, you must make sure not to exert your joints or apply too much pressure. When you sprain your ankle, you usually injure the ligaments on the outer edge of your ankle.
What Causes A Sprained Ankle?
- Sudden and unexpected pressure applied on your ankles while standing, running, or any physical activity.
- Placing your feet on irregular surfaces.
- Swelling as a result of stress on the ligament.
Symptoms Of A Sprained Ankle
- The affected foot will hurt, especially when you bear weight on it.
- The ankle may be sensitive to touch.
- Inflammation around your ankle.
- Restricted motion.
- The ankle may be unstable and cause imbalance while standing up.
Natural Ways To Cure Sprained Ankle:
RICE is one of the first treatments suggested for an ankle sprain. It is a reasonably simple self-care method that can help reduce the pain and swelling associated with an ankle sprain.
- The first step to recovery is to take as much rest as you can.
- Avoid straining the ankle for the first two days.
- Resting the foot can help prevent aggravating the sprain.
- Icing the ankle helps in reducing the pain and swelling in your foot .
- You will need about 8-10 ice cubes or an ice pack.
- Apply the ice pack for 15-20 minutes on your ankle.
- Repeat this every 2-3 hours for the first two days to obtain the best results.
- This step involves wrapping a bandage around your ankle.
- Tie an elastic bandage tightly enough to support your ankle but not so tight that it slows blood flow to your ankle.
- This will help provide support to your ankle and prevent excessive movement of your foot.
- In this step, you have to raise the affected part above the level of your heart.
- This is done to help reduce swelling and pain.
- Keep your foot on a cushion and keep it elevated for a while.
2. Essential Oils
(a) Lavender Oil
You Will Need
- A sterile cotton ball or gauze
- 2-3 drops of lavender oil
- Mix two to three drops of lavender oil with a few drops of a carrier oil (like coconut oil) in a bowl.
- Apply this mixture to the ankle and massage gently for about 15-20 minutes.
- You can do this 2-3 times daily.
(b) Chamomile Oil
Chamomile oil is known to possess anti-inflammatory and healing properties . This can help reduce any swelling that may surface with the sprain and promote faster healing.
You Will Need
2-3 drops of chamomile oil
- Take 2-3 drops of chamomile oil and mix it with a carrier oil like coconut oil.
- Apply this to your ankle and massage gently for about 15-20 minutes.
- You can repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily.
For any important information please contact us Email GadgetsNg email@example.com