Blackheads are small bumps that appear on your skin due to clogged hair follicles. These bumps are called blackheads because the surface looks dark or black.
Blackheads are a mild type of acne that usually form on the face, but they can also appear on the following body
An open (blackhead) or closed (whitehead) skin pore or hair follicle clogged with oil, dead skin cells and bacteria.
How to avoid blackheads
While trying to get rid of blackheads, there are certain things you should take care to not do as this may worsen the situation.
1. Picking or trying to pop blackheads is a complete no-no since it will do nothing to uproot the blackhead from deep within. Picking may lead to the spread of bacteria and even scar your skin.
2. At any cost, never try to remove blackheads using tweezers or pointed tools. Even the blackhead removal tools must be left to be used by professionals. You might end up injuring yourself while trying to poke at a blackhead.
3. Exfoliation is recommended to get rid of blackheads but using harsh or abrasive ingredients on the skin can cause damage instead of clearing out the blackheads. Also, it can dry out your skin and irritate it further.
The best way is to opt for gentle scrubs. If possible go for natural exfoliators like oatmeal, sugar, salt, coffee etc.
4. Keeping your skin clean goes a long way in not only preventing the formation of blackheads but also acne and pimples. Wash your face daily with a gentle face wash, at the beginning and at the end of the day.
Apart from that, keeping it free from grease is important so that oil doesn’t accumulate in the pores. This can be done by using a facial scrub once or twice a week, depending on your skin type.
5. Replenish your skin’s moisture after each wash by applying a suitable moisturiser. Use non-comedogenic moisturisers so that will not block the pores.
6. Using skin creams or gels with salicylic acid can help prevent blackheads too. Salicylic acid is a kind of chemical that is often used in pimple and acne eliminating creams.
It also finds use in medication to help remove the outer layer of the skin and is often used to treat warts, psoriasis, dandruff, acne, ringworm, and ichthyosis. Using salicylic-based creams can keep your skin fresh and grime-free by exfoliating the top layer, thus avoiding blackheads.
HOME REMEDY FOR BLACKHEAD PIMPLE
1. Lemon, salt and honey
The astringent quality of lemon will cut grease while the fine granules of salt will act as a non-abrasive scrub for your skin. Honey will leave your skin moisturised and help keep the germs away.
Make a paste with these three ingredients and apply on the blackheads. After five minutes, gently scrub in circular motions for a minute and let it stay for another five minutes. Wash away with warm water.
Do this thrice a week.
2. Egg white mask
Known for their skin tightening abilities, egg whites make an effective ingredient for blackhead removal. When applied directly on the skin or as a mask, egg whites shrink the pores, hence forcing blackheads out.
Being rich in nutrients, egg whites also improve skin texture and remove extra oil from the skin.
Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and A, and have skin brightening, oil-absorbing and pore shrinking properties. This is especially good for people with oily skin as tomato pulp effectively clears out the extra grease without being harsh. Cut a few round slices from a tomato.
Rub a slice on your skin, focusing on the blackhead infested areas. Alternatively, you can apply tomato pulp on your skin and wash it off with water once it dries.
The oil-absorbing properties of clay make it ideal for clearing extra grease from the skin along with other impurities. Masks made from fuller’s earth and kaolin clay, when used regularly on the face can help clear out the pores. This will eventually get rid of blackheads and make the skin smooth.
5. Baking soda
Baking soda is a natural exfoliator. Create a paste using baking soda and water and apply on the blackhead affected area. Use your fingers to gently scrub the skin for a few minutes and then wash off with water.
This should be done twice a week.